Okay, everybody. It’s that time again. Girl’s Weekend!! I’m so excited!! We three, Dana, Andrea and I, met when we were four or five years old. And we’re still together! The first Girl’s Weekend was planned for two reasons. Dana had a “big” birthday and Andrea had just finished her last round of radiation and had been pronounced “clean” by her oncologist.
We went to the Keys and never looked back. Don’t think less of us but these weekends are just a blur of alcohol splash fests. We start chuckling to ourselves the night before we leave thinking of fun things we’ve done over the years. The entire weekend has us roaring with laughter from sun up to lights out. And now, thank the generous Lord, another one is here!!
I spoke with James earlier today and told him it was Girl’s Weekend. He ended the conversation saying “Have a great time, Mama. Make wise choices!!” Yes. Well. I’ll do my best!! One of the tidbits I’m taking down is a passel of Fig and Gorgonzola Savouries to have with cocktails. They’re quick and easy and who doesn’t like figs?? I mean, really! They’re similar to the Cheese and Pecan Pennies I make at Christmas time. You can switch out the cheese to a sharp cheddar parmesan mix. Instead of the fig preserves you could use chutney or a hot pepper jam. So wish me a good time and never forget…wise choices!
Fig and Gorgonzola Savouries
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces gorgonzola, or the cheese of your choice
- a good tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- fig preserves, 4-5 tablespoons, maybe more, I don’t measure
- Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place all the ingredients EXCEPT THE FIG PRESERVES in the bowl of your food processor and pulse until the dough comes together. Alternatively, the same ingredients can be mixed by hand in a large bowl.
- Put the dough in the middle of a long piece of plastic wrap and using your hands or a spoon spread the dough into a skinny, long rectangle. Cover the dough with the plastic wrap leaving the two ends open.
- Gently roll the dough into a log, close ends and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut the dough into rounds, 1/4″-1/2″ and place about 1 inch apart on the parchment paper.
- Using your finger make an indentation in the middle of all the rounds.
- Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of fig preserves into the center of each round.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden around the edges.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for at least 15 minutes then serve. Cool completely if storing in an air tight container.
Yum! You are going to have a great time!
It’s always fun and naughty!!