My boy’s leaving early tomorrow morning, back to Tar Heel country. I thought I’d put together a portable food send-off gift for him while I was drowning my sorrows. All you mothers out there sending off college students know what I’m talking about. How about some organic Banana Blueberry Oat Muffins?
Banana Blueberry Oat Muffins
yield: 9 to 12
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbls canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick cook oats
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine bananas, canola oil, egg, milk and vanilla in a large bowl; mix well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, and using a dry spoon, mix together all the dry ingredients. When well mixed add blueberries coating well with the flour mixture.
- Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until they are just combined.
- Spray muffin tin cups with cooking spray and spoon about 1/3 cup batter into each.
- Bake 16-22 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
I use a mixture of flours so the baking time is longer. I’ll use whole wheat, whole wheat pastry, unbleached all purpose, white whole wheat. I also add almonds, sunflower seeds, ground flax seed. I use organic ingredients as often as I can. You can really play around with this recipe and it freezes incredibly well.