My father is 94 years old. He lives at home, in the house I grew up in. He takes no medications. None. His preventive regimen consists of vitamins, little or no red meat and more green, leafy vegetables than one can imagine. And it’s all organic. His Achilles heel is his sweet tooth. He has commanded no more cakes or pies to be baked for him. He has no self-discipline. These cookies are different. Not too sweet and pretty clean. I believe he’ll embrace and enjoy the fruits of this recipe. I’m almost certain I’ve developed a wheat allergy so I’ve been trying to figure out how to have the occasional treat without sneezing and coughing. I’m done with red, watery, old-lady eyes and a constant, bothersome post nasal drip.
I fashioned these based on my breakfast cookie. That said, these cookies rock. Made with dark chocolate, they satisfy sweet cravings at first bite. Even Daddy loved them. I replaced conventional white, bleached, wheat flour with almond and coconut flours. In lieu of white sugar, (so bad for you!), I used coconut sugar. The result is a thick, chewy, healthful cookie studded with gorgeous, dark chocolate chips all gooey and soft. I don’t bake them often, they may contain good fats but they’re still fats, however, these make a wonderful occasional indulgence. And my family loves them. Hope ya’ll do, too!
A Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, I use dairy-free “Enjoy Life” brand available at grocery and health food stores
- sea salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350° and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl add coconut flour, coconut sugar, almond flour and baking soda. Mix well so all ingredients are thoroughly combined and set bowl aside.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, coconut oil and vanilla and mix well.
- To the egg mixture add the flour mixture and the chocolate chips. Mix well until all the chips are evenly distributed.
- Use a melon ball scooper to measure out 25 equal portions of dough. My scooper is 1 1/2″ in diameter and holds 5 teaspoons. I pack each scoop firmly.
- Place each ball of dough on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and gently flatten the top of each cookie with your hand.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until bottoms are golden in color.
- Remove from oven onto a cooling rack and immediately sprinkle with sea salt.
- Allow to cool completely before storing.