Ever been in the irritating position of being empty-handed or feel as though the cupboard is bare when guests or friends show up unannounced and uninvited? I learned through experience a few years back and vowed not to be caught unaware come Christmas time. Different versions of these little crackers have been around forever but I find the recipes calling for a packet of dried Ranch or Italian dressing to be far and away too salty. I came up with this recipe by putting some of my favorite flavors together. I mean, who doesn’t like parmesan? Or lemon? Plus I figured most everyone has these ingredients or some variety of them in their pantry. That said, this is the ideal time to stock up on some holiday basics the next time you’re in the grocery store. Various crackers, butter, both grated and shredded parmesan, frozen phyllo shells and dough, puff pastry, cream cheese, jarred pesto, dried cherries and cranberries, fig jam… obviously I could go on and on but you get the picture. With a well-stocked pantry you can rustle up a remarkable AND good-looking appetizer at a moment’s notice. I plan to post a few more easy and attractive appetizers that can be made at the drop of a hat. So the next time the doorbell rings while you’re coloring your hair and you over hear your husband say, “Well, merry Christmas to YOU! Come on in and have a drink! Please say you’ll stay!”, you’ll be well prepared 🙂
These are great with cocktails or watching a football game. Any leftover may be stored in a baggie, out of the refrigerator and are easily re-crisped in the oven at 350° for 5 minutes or so. The pepper I love to use is a peppercorn medley by McCormick, found at probably every grocery store in the country. The pink peppercorns in the medley give a lovely sweetness to the pepper flavors. Lastly, only grated parmesan works in this recipe as shredded won’t stick to the crackers. Feel free to use more pepper if you wish and enjoy!
Parmesan, Pepper and Lemon Oyster Crackers
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- grated zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly cracked peppercorn medley, I like McCormick with a built-in grinder
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 9-ounce bag oyster crackers
- Pre-heat oven to 325°.
- In a small bowl combine and mix well parmesan cheese, lemon zest, peppers and salt. Set aside.
- Place crackers in a large bowl and pour the melted butter over them. With a large spoon, toss the crackers in the butter until they are completely coated.
- Pour the cheese and pepper mixture over the crackers and continue tossing until the crackers are covered with the parmesan mixture.
- Place the crackers in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until they become slightly golden.
- Serve immediately.