This is one outrageous zucchini bread. The batter will have your eyes rolling to the back of your head. I can honestly say the first time I tasted the batter I seriously considered not baking the bread at all and , instead, simply eating it all…one generous, sloppy spoonful after another until there was no more. I first began baking zucchini bread for my son, James, when he was a toddler but I never called it zucchini bread. I’m pretty sure he would have turned his cute little Greek nose up at it, but how about “tea bread”? He loved Mama’s “tea bread” and even helped me bake it. Many a morning he suggested we invite his grandmother, Mimi, over for a tea party with “tea bread”. Little scamp. I covered his small, round child’s table with a linen tablecloth and set places for James, Mimi and his two best friends, Bert and Ernie. I prepared cafe con leche or James’ favorite tea, Constant Comment and served the guests while they chatted politely about Curious George, which day that week they would go feed the ducks or the latest happenings on Sesame Street…”Mimi! Did you know there is a number 9?” We have some lovely memories. I hope this recipe makes it to your next tea party!
This wonderful recipe I found in the booklet of directions and recipes which came with my Cuisinart food processor. I made no changes except for the addition of vanilla extract. The recipe is that perfect. It does state milk chocolate chips may be used as well but I’d rather have a sharp chocolate presence so I’ll stick with semi-sweet chips. If your food processor is another brand I’m pretty sure it will be just fine. (But I DO adore my Cuisinart!)
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of nutmeg (I used almost 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated)
- 1 large zucchini (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (this is not part of the original recipe)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Lightly coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Reserve.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Reserve.
- Insert the shredding disc with the medium side facing up. Shred zucchini. Add to the bowl with the reserved dry ingredients.
- Put the sugar, eggs and oil into the large work bowl fitted with the large chopping blade. Process on high for 30 seconds. Add dry ingredients and pulse, to just combine, about 8 to 10 times. Remove blade. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Let cool in pan and serve warm if desired.
If you do not have a food processor would a blender work?
I would make it using a box grater and and mixing by hand. I think a blender would over mix it, both the zucchini and the batter. Hope that helps!
Nice and yum recipe 🙂
nice blog. please check out my blog . i have great zucchini fries recipe.