Hey, y’all. This is a super fast, fun cookie to bake with your kids or for your family. Let’s be honest here. It’s the perfect, melt in your mouth, sweet-salty cookie… for you. But it’s not too sweet; that’s the beauty of it. Thumbprint cookies are traditionally smooth, however, with the addition of cream cheese, this cookie rises to a new level. As each day passes I am more and more thankful for all my blessings. I don’t know anyone who has fallen sick with the corona virus BUT I do know of a family member who has friends with parents in the hospital and even worse, in ICU, and they’re not doing well. My heart becomes heavier and heavier because I think this will become more and more common. That’s why I, for one, needed this cookie. It’s simple. It’s safe. It’s comforting. Thumbprint cookies will remind you of a few months back when there was nothing going on but the primaries. So get to baking… it’ll keep your mind off things. And wash your hands.
Cream Cheese Thumbprint Cookies
- 8 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup jam or jelly of choice, more or less to your taste
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- With a hand mixer or stand up mixer, cream butter and cream cheese until light and very fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy and well mixed.
- Add flour. By hand, gently stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Cover bowl and chill one hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°.
- Roll dough into 30 1 1/2-inch balls. I use a 1 1/2-inch cookie dough scoop to maintain uniformity.
- Place balls 1 1/2-inch apart on cookie sheet. Use your thumb or the back of a spoon and make an indentation in the middle of each ball.
- Fill each cookie with 1/2-1 teaspoon of your favorite jam.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Check underneath for doneness at the 12-13 minute mark.
- Cool and serve. Store in an airtight container.