It’s the 3:00 o’clock slump, y’all. The weather has turned decidedly hot; no more cool mornings and evenings. No. Summer is here in south Florida so I call break time. And I will include my husband and son in that break time this afternoon. Today is an auspicious day. Why? My son, James, graduated today with his master’s degree… while working full-time. Congratulations, buddy! We’re so proud of the man you are and the manner in which you choose to live your life. So take a quick break from work and cool down with this stellar treat.
Y’all, this li’l fruit treat is just what a body needs to renew and refresh and celebrate, too. Served as cold as possible, it is typically sipped in a standard beverage glass and the berries are eaten with a spoon. The sour cream called for in the recipe can successfully be substituted with Greek yoghurt or a thick yoghurt. I keep a jar of Mexican table cream in the door of my refrigerator almost always as it can go in either direction you want…sweet or savory. With the addition of sweetened condensed milk, Mexican table cream will add a slightly tangy, kind of sweet base to whatever you’re preparing. I often add vinegar, salt and pepper to Mexican table cream and prepare THE best salad dressing, making the cream savory. Fresas con crema can cool off an afternoon on its own but feel free to gild the lily with a fat dollop of freshly whipped cream on top. Enjoy!
Baja Strawberries & Cream
- 32 ounces ripe strawberries, hulled
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces Mexican table cream, found in the dairy section of your grocery store, usually close to sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, Mexican if you have it
- Slice strawberries and divide evenly between serving glasses. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl or blender, add remaining ingredients and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour cream mixture evenly over berries and serve.